just checking in...

I guess it's been like 12 or 15 years since my last post...? Maybe less.

But really, the truth is... who the hell blogs any more?

Truthfully...? I'm not sure what to write about, and yet there are so many things to write about. I've wanted to do a profile of each house on the street, but don't want to disturb the privacy of my friends and neighbors. I've wanted to do a bunch of before and after essays based on all of the work that has been done over the years, but not all of that work was done in a considered and respectful way to the original architecture (and some of it is just kind of sad). But that's not so much my thing to pick on others or complain, and it's really beyond the spirit of the blog -- people are entitled to make the decisions they make. (Here's where my friend Mark would say, "Wrong as they may be!")

I think at one point I wanted to try and inspire new owners who may be moving in to make considered choices in their remodeling or restoration efforts. I also thought that perhaps some of those folks who've have been living on Highview for many years might take inspiration and re-consider their homes as the modernist Los Angeles architectural landmarks that they are. Maybe update the landscaping in front, or maybe put a coat of paint on here or there. Maybe don't replace all of the windows before you live in the place for a few months. Maybe don't sell to a flipper (this should be the subject of a future post).

I think to some degree a few folks were inspired, which in itself is super inspiring. I've met many people who read the blog and have really enjoyed it -- both people who moved on to the street, as well as plain old fans of Ain's work.

gregory ain 2841 highview avenue altadena park planned homes
2841 Highview Ave
(photo by someone who was taking photos of houses on our street)

Over the last few years I've seen the photos I've posted get used on several others sites. I've also seen stuff I've written about wind up in realtor listings(!), or in other musings here and there. Don't get me wrong, this is completely acceptable to me. It's an honor and a compliment! I would love to help people who want to buy one of these houses know more, and and I would love to help people who want to sell one also know more. There is a legacy to preserve here, and folks should know about it.

But honestly, I wish I could use this blog to be as unabashedly biased and passionate about these homes (and this great street and all of the people that live here) as I really am in person. Yet, it's ultimately not that interesting to anyone other than me and a few of the punters in the neighborhood. It's a lot easier to walk down (or up, or across) the street with a bottle of wine and some snacks, than to sit at a computer and drone on about radiant heat barriers, built-in ducting and the most effective way to properly ventilate a home. Because that's what we do over wine and snacks anyway...

And it ultimately is like that.

This is a cool street because of the people who live here and because they love where they live. And it's also a cool street despite it's lack of that contemporary-trendy-ultra-restored modernist aesthetic that is continually at risk of becoming pastiche.

Altadena is not Mar Vista, nor Silver Lake, nor Highland Park, Eagle Rock or so many of the other gentrified and revitalized neighborhoods across SoCal. Perhaps some folks would like it to be more hip or trendy, but I don't think it really matters. It would be nice if someone opened a few more restaurants or a better supermarket solution, but we make due. Ultimately, Altadena really is weird. We don't need a bumper sticker to tell folks to "keep it" that way. It has been and always will be. And therein lies it's charm. We are away from the rest of Los Angeles in so many ways, and yet richly a part of this city. Atadena is a story of juxtapositions, both failures and triumphs side by side. The moment perfectionism makes it way into this enclave, it's no longer going to be Altadena.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am proud to be a part of this beautiful street full of amazingly talented, diverse and incredibly generous people. It's an honor to live here, and I'm gonna try and spread some of that love around again more frequently here in the blog.

I hope...



Comments

Popular Posts